This Red Lentil and Spinach Mock Lasagna is a vegetarian take on a favorite child-hood dish! Hearty and comforting with so much flavor!
Mock Lasagna is one of those dishes I remember my mom making as we were kids. It’s easy, filling and quite delicious! This Red Lentil and Spinach Mock Lasagna is a vegetarian take on that favorite child-hood dish! Equally hearty and filling and best of all, a winner with the little ones!
Red lentils play the leading role in this pasta dish. The pasta is naturally gluten-free, made with one simple ingredient; red lentils. It boasts 13 grams of protein per serving making it a great substitute for traditional wheat based pasta. The red split lentils take the place of sausage, but if you’re a meat-eating family (we are) and want the real thing – go for it! Basically, when you’re combining pasta, meat/meat substitute, cheese, and any sort of tomato based sauce – it’s bound to be good, right?!
Why this Red Lentil and Spinach Mock Lasagna is a FAV:
- Quick and Easy
- Hearty and filling
- Loaded in protein and fiber
- Vegetarian, but super simple to make with turkey sausage
With two birthdays and a beach trip in the last month, things have been a bit crazy around here. Which mean the blog has been quieter than usual. Hoping to get back to posting weekly as Fall sets in and things slow down a bit.
But FYI, baby’s girls second birthday post is coming next, after that I promise it’ll be strictly recipes for a while! 😅In the mean time – Happy Cooking!
Other Gluten-Free Pasta favs:
Red Lentil and Spinach Mock Lasagna
- 1 box Red Lentil Pasta cooked according to package direction
- 1 cup lentils uncooked (I used split red lentils)
- 2 cups water
- 2 8 oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese vegetarian
- 1 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 1 brown egg
- 1 cup cooked spinach drained
- 1 1/4 cup Italian cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook red lentil pasta according to package directions and set aside.
- While pasta cooks, add 1 cup lentils to 2 cups water, bring to a boil and simmer approximately 15 minutes or until lentils are soft. Add tomato sauce, seasonings and Parmesan cheese, stir to combine and simmer another 3-5 minutes.
- Add ricotta cheese, egg, and cooked spinach to small bowl, stir until egg is blended and all ingredients are well mixed.
- In a 2 qt dish, layer half red lentil pasta, ricotta cheese mixture, seasoned tomato lentils, and Italian cheese blend, then repeat ending with Italian Cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes. Remove and allow to cool 5 minutes then serve! Garnish with Parmesan Cheese if desired.
Leave a Reply