This creamy Sun-Dried Tomato and Mushroom Chickpea Pasta is the perfect blend of hearty and healthy. Loaded with veggies, garlic, herbs and parmesan cheese!
Pasta is one of those things that I don’t think to make often, but actually really enjoy. With the exception of zucchini pasta. If you do a quick zucchini search here on Lemons and Basil, you’ll quickly see I have an affection for all things zucchini.
But the more traditional wheat based pasta is something I tend to gravitate to more when I’m cooking for company. It’s typically kid-friendly and liked by even the most particular eaters. And I think most would agree that pasta based casseroles or lasagna are sometimes even better the second time around, making them ideal for leftovers.
But when it comes to cooking nightly for my family, I want to maximize the nutritional benefits as much as possible. Loading my little ones with vegetables, legumes, and other highly nutritional ingredients. Which isn’t always easy. They do pretty good eating fruits and dried or roasted veggies, but beyond that, it’s a constant game of trying to hide the veggies. Hoping that they eat without picking things apart and eventually pushing it aside.🤞🤦♀️
Which is why I really love that you can now get pasta made from quinoa, spinach, lentils, chickpeas, and more. These veggie and legume based pastas fill my kids with protein, fiber, and vitamins, without them even knowing. I truly could not have told you that this chickpea pasta was not the traditional wheat based pasta. And I don’t think Josh or my kids could have either. The texture and flavor were so similar. And it did exactly what pasta is suppose to – play backseat to whatever sauce, meat, veggies, and/or cheese you chose to pair it with.
ALLL the reasons you should try this Chickpea Pasta:
- Lower in carbs than traditional pasta + 11 grams of plant-based protein!
- Cooks just like regular pasta, making it a suupper easy swap
- Mild flavor and great texture – kids (and husbands) won’t know it’s not regular pasta!
- Plant-based, organic ingredients, Gluten-free, Vegan, Non-GMO
Which brings me to the other incredibly yummy things we’ve got going on here in this gluten-free pasta dish. You’ve got sautéed garlic, onions, mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes. Generously coated in a creamy garlic based sauce infused with sun-dried tomato olive oil, Italian seasoning, and smoked paprika. And of course, topped with cheese. Parmesan cheese to be more specific.😋
Seriously, so yummy!
Sun Dried Tomato and Mushroom Chickpea Pasta
- 8 oz Chickpea Pasta
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 medium sweet onion finely diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil from the sun-dried tomatoes
- 4 oz sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil drained
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 3/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth low sodium
- 1-2 cup spinach chopped
- 2 oz shredded parmesan cheese vegetarian
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, until softened to your preference. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, add 2 tbsp olive oil from sun-dried tomatoes to large skillet and saute garlic and onion over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes and mushrooms along with Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, garlic salt, black pepper, stir to combine and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in half n half, 2% milk, and vegetable broth to skillet, stir and bring to a low boil then reduce to a simmer. Add the spinach and let it simmer until spinach begins to wilt - approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Remove veggies and sauce from heat, stir in cooked pasta until well combined.
- Divide evenly among four plates, garnish with parmesan Cheese and Enjoy!
Adapted from Eat Well 101’s Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta.