This Healthy Jalapeño Pimento Cheese is full of flavor and the perfect summer addition to any Spring or Summer spread!
One of Brighton’s best little buddy’s celebrated her third birthday a couple months ago. Along with a spread of fresh veggies, fruits, crackers and of course cake, they served Hawaiian rolls with chicken salad and Pawleys Island’s Pimento Cheese with Jalapeños. We filled our bellies and it was all so good!
I’ve never had their Jalapeño Pimento Cheese, nor have I ever eaten much in the way of pimento cheese. But afterwards Josh and I both agreed how much we enjoyed it. I wanted to see if I could make something similar, and maybe a little healthier myself. Which brings us to this Healthy Jalapeño Pimento Cheese.
I opted for Greek yogurt instead of the traditional mayo base, keeping it a little lighter. Knowing I wanted the kids to be able to eat it as well, I only roasted and added one jalapeño pepper. If you want a little more of a kick, definitely up that to 2 or 3 based on your preference. In the end I was really happy with the flavors! It was a little thicker than the Pawleys Island since I didn’t use mayo, but that didn’t both me one bit.
With Summer gatherings upon us, this Healthy Jalapeño Pimento Cheese with fresh bread and veggies would be a great addition to any table!
MORE SHARABLE HEALTHY SUMMER DISHES!
- Avocado Egg Salad
- Roasted Broccoli Blue Cheese and Bacon Chopped Salad
- Raw Chocolate Oat Bars
- New England Inspired Creamy Apply Slaw
- Blueberry Cheesecake Nice Cream
Healthy Jalapeño pimento cheese
- 1 -2 Jalapeño pepper
- 1/4 cup sweet onion minced
- 16 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened (I used 1/3 less fat)
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 4 oz diced pimentos drained
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove seeds from jalapeño peppers, then slice thinly. Slice 1/4 large sweet onion, then add sliced jalapeño pepper and onion to aluminum foil and fold to close. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes. Then open aluminum foil and broil for 3-4 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.
- While peppers and onions cook, add sharp shredded cheese to large bowl, along with softened cream cheese, diced pimentos, and all seasonings.
- Once the jalapeño peppers and onions have cooled, mince and add to cheese mixture.
- Stir all ingredients together until well combined. Taste and add additional seasonings according to your preference.
- Serve with fresh veggies, crackers or choice of bread for sandwiches. Enjoy!