I need to apologize. I’ve held out on you and I’m really sorry.
Unintentionally, I’ve been sitting on this recipe for a couple of months now. I’ve made these incredible Healthy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars (Gluten-Free/Vegan 🙌🏻) at least four or five times since developing the recipe. And every time I take that first bite, I’m amazed at how gooey, rich, and all around satisfying they are in their chocolate-peanut-buttery goodness.
This is a healthy dessert recipe that is NOT just for those who like healthy dessert recipes. Meaning, I think even the unhealthiest of eaters will love these bad boys! Let’s put it this way, when I bake for others, I tend to go a little more traditional. Sticking with flour, butter, eggs, and sugar; leaving out the beans and vegetables. But I’m convinced that no one will know there are sweet potatoes in these Healthy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars. Nor will they know or care that the flour source comes from whole oats, as opposed to bleached white flour.
All they’ll know is that they
want need another one (or two). I love to bake and share healthy recipes with my readers. I figure if you’re here following along, then it’s likely that you enjoy healthy desserts as well. But I’m super insecure about baking healthy treats for our friends. And many of them enjoy healthy foods as well. But I always feel this need to give them a disclaimer on the front end.
“Uh hey…just so you know, the brownies I brought are made with black beans and maple syrup, they’re gluten-free and vegan, so they may taste different than you’re use to…it’s okay if you don’t like them. I just wanted to try out a new recipe I’ve been working on for the blog.” 🤦♀️ This is me every time I take a healthier dessert anywhere.
But not with these. I made them to bring to our Super Bowl get-together earlier in the year. And yes, I did tell people that they were gluten-free and dairy-free, but ONLY because we have some friends in our group who are needing to avoid those two things. Not because I was afraid everyone would take a bite and immediately wonder if they’d been tricked into trying the healthy dessert at the party. Because for once, I wasn’t.
They’re that good. Trust me. Make them. Eat them. Share them (if there’s any left😜)!
More Yummy Healthy Chocolate Brownies/Bar Recipes:
- Raw Chocolate Oat Bars
- Raw Dark Chocolate Healthy Brownies
- Healthy Chocolate Chip Fudgy Brownie Bar
- Gooey Black Bean and Beet Brownies
Healthy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars
- 1 cup peanut butter creamy
- 1/4 cup sweet potato cooked and mashed*
- 2/3 cup organic raw cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp ground oat flour certified gluten-free if necessary
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips + 2 tbsp additional for topping vegan if necessary
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 8” square pan with coconut oil or nonstick spray of choice.
- Add peanut butter, sweet potato, raw sugar and vanilla extract to large bowl. Stir until well mixed and a smooth consistency is reached.
- To a small bowl, add oat flour, baking soda, sea salt and 1/3 cup chocolate chips, gently whisk to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to peanut butter mixture, then stir until well combined. Spread evenly into greased 8x8 pan.
- Top with remaining 2 tbsp chocolate chips, gently pressing into batter, then bake 10 minutes. The bars will look underdone, which is exactly what you want! Allow them to cool 20 minutes or so before eating. They’ll firm up as they cool and be super rich, fudge and moist! Enjoy!
*For the sweet potatoes, you can peel, boil and mash a fresh sweet potato, or use organic canned sweet potato or yams. I’ve used both options, as well as part of a carrot/sweet potato toddler pouch when in a pinch, and they’ve all turned out great!