As promised, today’s recipe combines a version of last week’s Mediterranean Roasted Red Potatoes and Veggies with many of my other favorites to make this Roasted Veggie Grain Bowl with Avocado and Hummus.
A while back, Josh, Brighton and I were out running errands and decided to grab lunch. We don’t eat out very often, and when we do we have our favorites and typically find ourselves heading to one of those rather than trying something new. Which is odd, being that we both love trying new places. I guess we’ve just gotten comfortable with these places and it’s the easy thing to do.
However, I had wanted to try a fairly new place in Franklin, Grabbagreen, that had been recommended to me by a few different friends, each convinced it was definitely my kind of food. They were right! I’m awful at making decisions as it is, but with a menu full of so many great options, it took forever for me to narrow things down and pick one. I ended up going with one of their grain bowls and really enjoyed it.
Realizing it had been way too long since I’d made a grain bowl at home, my mind instantly started brainstorming on several combinations. Having just purchased some pearl barley from Sprout’s bulk bins, I decided to start with that as my grain. And with an abundance of zucchini, tomatoes, and onions on hand, they too were a natural choice, stirring this bowl in a tasty, Mediterranean direction!
The rest came together based on flavor and nutrition and in the end, it made for a hearty meal, that was loaded with lots of colors, along with a healthy dose of fiber and protein.
If you’re looking for a way to get in more veggies and grains, I’d hope you’ll give this one a try and check out a few others below!
Veggie and Grain Bowls
- ½ cup dry pearl barley
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1” pieces
- ¼ large sweet onion, cut into 1” pieces
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1-2 cups organic greens, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup hummus (homemade or store-bought)
- ½ medium avocado, sliced
- Top with Greek, Goddess, or Tahini dressing if desired*
- Serve with pita or naan bread, optional*
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add zucchini and onion pieces, halved tomatoes and sliced baby bella mushrooms to baking sheet.
- Mix olive oil, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, dried thyme, crushed red pepper, salt and black pepper to small bowl. Mix to combine, then drop spoonfuls of seasoned oil over prepped veggies, use hands to toss and coat all veggies.
- Roast in the oven for 15 minutes, stirring after 10, or until cooked through and tender.
- Meanwhile, add dry barley to small sauce pan along with 1 cup water, bring to a boil, then reduce to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until chewy tender, stirring occasionally. Once cooked, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Once veggies and barley have cooked and cooled a bit. Begin to assemble bowls.
- Divide chopped greens between two large shallow bowls, then add cooked barley, roasted veggies, hummus, and avocado. Drizzle with dressing of choice if desired. Serve with pita or naan bread.