Today’s post is short and sweet, as in Baked Sweet Potato Fries! These little fries make a regular appearance in our meals. I make these as a side to our dinner or for a quick snack on a regular basis. We don’t typically keep any sort of chips or salty snacky foods in the house other than a variety of dry roasted nuts, not just for healthy reasons but also for budget purposes. We found those sort of snacks add up quick and we’d rather focus our grocery budget on other things! So, when we have a craving for something with a bit of salt, these fries are easy to whip up in about 20 minutes and definitely hit the spot.
And of course they are much better for you than regular potato chips or white potato fries. Sweet potatoes are loaded with fiber and other benefits that you can read about below, but they are also lower on the Glycemic Index which means they take longer to absorb into your body’s bloodstream.
I seriously can’t say enough how yummy these are with just a little coconut non-cooking spray, a touch of salt, pepper and paprika, and VOILA! Not to mention, you cook up as many as you want/need and when they’re gone, they’re gone. Unlike that bag of chips you open and tell yourself you’ll just eat one serving… if you’re anything like me that salt hooks you and before you know it half the bag is gone!
BENEFITS OF SWEET POTATOES:
- Vitamin B6 – can help prevent heart attacks
- Vitamin C – aides in fighting off colds and the flu, and helps with digestion, skin elasticity and stress coping
- Vitamin D – affects our energy levels, moods, and helps to build healthy bones, heart, nerves, skin, and teeth
- Magnesium – magnesium is the anti-stress mineral and helps with relaxation
I put together the recipe below to give you an idea of the nutrition info and a little guidance in making these, but in truth I just chop them into small fries, throw them on a pan, spray the fries with my coconut oil cooking spray from Trader Joe’s, sprinkle with a little salt/pepper/paprika and toss to coat! If I had to guess I would say the measurements provided below for the salt, pepper, oil, etc are pretty close, but just go sparingly as you can always add more if needed. I’m sure many of you already make something similar to these, but if not, then you HAVE to try them!
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash sweet potatoes and cut into long narrow strips or the shape of traditional friend fries or wedges.
- Add cut sweet potatoes to large bowl, add coconut oil, salt, pepper and paprika and stir together with hands until fries are well coated.
- Spread cut and seasons fries out onto pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven, flip fries over and bake for additional 10 minutes or until fries are soft.