This Green Smoothie Bowl with Oats and Berries has become my daily breakfast. It’s completely plant-based and full of nutrition, yet hearty and delicious!
I’m one of those people who finds something I like for breakfast and then just puts it on repeat, day after day. That is until I find something else I like more, ha! This smoothie bowl is where it’s at for me right now. Smoothies have been a part of my rhythm for a long time. But what I like about a smoothie bowl is the addition of texture and toppings, giving me something to chew and not just drink.
Smoothies are such an easy way to add fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds to your morning routine. These things easily boost the nutrition without altering the taste. My kiddos love this smoothie. They don’t always add the array of toppings I choose to, but even just drinking the smoothie base is a win. They’re starting their day off with bananas, blueberries, peanut butter, cacao powder, flaxseed, almond milk and a little honey. I frequently add the rolled oats and avocado to their base as well, to boost fiber and zinc and keep them full longer. I’ll throw in a whole-food protein powder when I have it, but even without the powder, the smoothie is robust in flavor and nutrition.
Healthy Benefits of this Green Smooth Bowl with Oats and Berries:
- Bananas – rich in fiber, antioxidants and potassium
- Blueberries – high in antioxidants, fighting against free radicals
- Natural Peanut Butter – source of healthy fats and high quality protein
- Cacoa Powder – good source of protein, fiber, healthy fats, minerals and flavonoids.
- Flaxseed – high in fiber + some protein. One of best plant-based sources for omega-3.
- Almond Milk – great source of vitamin E and Calcium + lower in calories and sugar.
- Blackberries/Raspberries – high in antioxidants, fighting against free radicals
- Rolled Oats – full of fiber, vitamins and minerals
- Honey – a natural sweetener and source of antioxidants
As a quick note, when you’re looking to drink the smoothie, you’ll want more liquid. When you’re preparing a smoothie bowl, you want less liquid and more frozen fruit to keep the mixture thicker so it can handle your toppings and be eaten with a spoon.
If you’re looking to add more smoothies to your morning or afternoon routine, here are a few other favorites:
- Vegan Blueberry Breakfast Bowl with Granola
- Turmeric Banana Smoothie with Ginger
- PB2 Dark Chocolate Banana Smoothie
- Anti-Inflammatory Papaya Smoothie
- Strawberry Chocolate Green Smoothie
Green Smoothie Bowl with Oats and Berries
- High speed blender
FOR THE SMOOTHIE:
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/3 cup frozen blueberries
- 6-7 ice cubes
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp peanut butter or nut butter of choice
- 1 tbsp flax seed ground
- 3 packs stevia or sweetener of choice
- 1.5-2 cups organic spinach packed
- drizzle natural peanut nutter or nut butter of choice
- drizzle raw honey or maple syrup for vegan
- 2 tbsp rolled oats
- 6-8 fresh blueberries
- 5-6 fresh raspberries
- 5-6 fresh blackberries
- Add all smoothie ingredients to blender and puree until a smooth consistency is reached and all ingredients are pureed.
- Pour smoothie in bowl, then add a light drizzle of peanut butter (or nut butter of choice) and honey (or maple syrup for vegan).
- Sprinkle rolled oats over one side of bowl, then add blueberries, blackberries and raspberries. Enjoy!
Nutrition info taken from Healthline.com