The holidays are over, our trips are complete, and we are home safe and sound for good. Which means back to reality!
I love traveling and all it includes. Visiting family, capturing gorgeous views, experiencing other culture, eating an array of cuisine and making memories that I’ll always treasure.
BUT, there is something to be said for being home. And I must admit it can be quite the challenge to keep up with the day-to-day things. The cleaning, laundry, and groceries don’t seem to take care of themselves in my absence. And a new item to add to the agenda these days…posting here! Which I love.
This week I fell a bit behind and rather than getting a post up Monday or Tuesday, it took me to Wednesday to get my act together.
Now that I’m back and getting settled into my typical routine, it’s time to get back on track with clean eating! And I must say, I’m really looking forward to it! I’m beginning to think my body is rebelling against me for all the splurges this holiday season brought.
We got home from our Michigan and Indiana trip late Saturday night (after midnight). We came home a day early in efforts of outrunning the huge winter storm that was headed for the Great Lakes region. It turned out to be quite the blessing, as it gave us Sunday to get some things done before heading back to work Monday.
I made this Detox Green Smoothie Sunday for lunch. Please excuse my wilted kale in the pictures. This kale was part of my Delvin Farm CSA that I picked up two weeks earlier.
Being that it is all local and organically grown, I couldn’t bring myself to throw it away. And other than being a tad wilted, it was still good!
So in the smoothie it went. Smoothies are so great because there is no right or wrong way. Pick your favorite fruits and vegetables, add a liquid of choice (almond milk, coconut milk, coconut water, juice, etc.) blend on high and drink!
While Green Smoothies would not necessarily be my favorite, they seem to be just the thing to add to the mix as I buckle down and get back to my good eating habits!
Below is a list of a few of the properties which help give this smoothie detoxifying benefits!
- Apple: The soluble fiber (pectin), helps prevent plaque buildup in blood vessels while the insoluble fiber (cellulose), helps the digestive system move waste quickly through the intestinal tract by adding bulk. Apples are rich in calcium, iron, phosphorus and potassium, as well as B-complex folates and vitamins A and C.
- Cinnamon: Contains high levels of iron, fiber, calcium and manganese. Cinnamon can possibly prevent the accumulation of some fats.
- Lemon: This solution is able to combat multiple health issues including digestive issues, nausea, heartburn and constipation.
- Lemon Juice: Consuming anything sour makes the liver and gallbladder purge stored toxins. This is vital for weight loss and good health; if your liver is full of toxins, it can’t metabolize fat properly. Lemon juice also supplies the body with a good dose of vitamin C making it an immune system booster and a great skin cleanser.
What about you? What are you doing to get back in the routine of healthy eating?? I’d love to hear from you!
Detox Green Smoothie
- 1 cup kale washed
- 3 dates
- 1 small granny smith apple or apple of choice
- 1 whole carrot
- Juice of lemon
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 packet stevia
- 1/2 cup water
- Wash all vegetables.
- Peel and chop carrots.
- Remove seeds from apple and chop.
- Add all ingredients to blender or Nutribullet and blend until smooth.
Recipe inspired and adapted from Meaningful Eats.
Healthy benefits gathered from Livestrong.com and FuelTheMind.com.