Oats, pecans, flaxseed, sunflower seeds, shredded coconut, honey, and coconut oil, all baked to golden perfection? Yes please!
I am one of those people who eat the same thing every day for breakfast and never get tired of it. At least not for a very long time. Not to say that I don’t make small changes daily, but overall, it’s the same thing, everyday. And for me, that breakfast is greek yogurt, mixed berries, whole oats, bran flakes, flaxseed (sometimes Hemp or Chia seeds) and cinnamon.
It’s really quite lame, I actually wake up thinking about it and once I get everything out that I can with my spoon, I swipe my finger through the bowl and lick my finger until I’m satisfied that I’ve gotten it all. Embarrassing, huh?
So while I’m completely fine eating the same thing every day, I do like to find different things to change it up for Josh and lately he’s been eating his own honey greek yogurt with granola, flax and cinnamon. I tell myself that by swapping up the homemade granola, he is getting a variety for breakfast, wonder if he buys into that.
Anyway, this particular granola does not disappoint. The baked oats, seeds and nuts are dry and crispy once cooled and the pinch of salt somehow enhances the honey and cinnamon flavor.
This is definitely one of those recipes where you can add whatever seeds and nuts you have on hand and can change the spices up according to the season or whatever mood you’re in. With fall quickly approaching, I couldn’t help but think that a little pumpkin pie spice or nutmeg would be a great addition!
We ate it with organic strawberries, but I think sliced bananas or blueberries are next on the list to try.
Crunchy Granola with Flax and Sunflower Seeds
- 4 cups whole oats
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup dry roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup honey
- 6 tbsp coconut oil melted
- Preheat oven to 320 degrees.
- Mix oats, pecans, shredded coconut, flaxseed, sunflower seeds, cinnamon and salt in large bowl.
- Whisk coconut oil and honey together and add to oats mixture.
- Spread mixture onto two baking sheets and bake for approx 25 minutes, stir a few times during baking (make sure you stir to bottom of pan). For more crunch, reduce oven to 275 degrees and bake an additional 5-10 minutes. Watch carefully and make sure it doesn't burn!
- Allow to cool and serve with Greek yogurt (or milk, reg yogurt, fruit, ice cream, or however else you want it!)
Inspired by Pinch of Yum’s, Crunchy Pecan Granola.