These Animal Face Chocolate and Peanut Butter Rice Cakes are the perfect after-school snack! Where fun meets healthy and tasty! Every time I make these, they’re devoured by smiling little faces!
It’s a little hard to believe that in just a few short weeks school will be back in session. I think for so many, myself included, that thought brings a lot of mixed emotions.
In the current pandemic we’re facing with Covid-19, school is guaranteed to look different. For some that means learning remote or homeschooling. And for others it means classes full of children and teachers with masks.
Teachers who are putting a tremendous amount of effort into figuring out how to maneuver through uncharted territory. Doing everything they can to keep our children safe while continuing to further their education. And for that I’m so incredibly thankful.
These teachers, and their efforts to move forward in the midst of so much uncertainty, are heroes. Truly, heroes.
Our kiddos are still little. We’re facing the decision of preschool rather than elementary or high school. I can only imagine all the emotions and decisions that have to be weighed for those with older kids.
I find myself constantly pulled between wanting to be overly cautious, and yet knowing we still have to live life and move forward. Knowing that we were not created to live in isolation and that just as I find myself needing to see my friends and family, my kids need to see other kids.
But while the details of what school looks like this Fall are still a bit uncertain, one thing that is for certain, is the need for after-school snacks. My kids, like most, live for snacks. And when the snacks are cute, tasty, and healthy, it’s a pretty big win.
Animal Face Chocolate and Peanut Butter Rice Cakes
- Super simple
- Sure to bring about giggles
- Healthy and delicious
These Animal Face Chocolate and Peanut Butter Rice Cakes are simple and yummy, but most importantly, sure to bring a smile to your kiddos. And right now, I think we’re all looking for reasons to find joy in the little things.
On one of my weekly Sprouts runs earlier this year, I picked up a pack of these Organic Brown Rice Cakes. I got them on a whim as a snack for myself. But of course, as it is with most things I have/eat, my kids wanted them, too. And now we’re all pretty well hooked. Even Josh.
Which made them the natural choice for these adorable animal faces. I used a combination of peanut butter and chocolate peanut butter for the spreads, but any nut-butter would work. Then grabbed an assortment of fruits and nuts to create their ears, eyes and nose. With each new animal I created, the squeals and giggles of my kids just got louder and louder. They loved them.
If you’re looking for a fun after-school snack, these easy animal faces are a sure win! You can easily grab all the ingredients at Sprouts, my favorite spot for fresh produce and healthy snacks!
Animal Face Chocolate and Peanut Butter Rice Cakes
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER SPREAD:
- 1/2 cup Sprouts peanut butter
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp Sprouts honey
- OTHER INGREDIENTS:
- 10-12 Sprouts Organic Brown Rice cakes
- 1/3 cup Sprouts Peanut Butter
- additional honey to drizzle if desired
- 1 banana thinly sliced
- 1 apple thinly sliced in circles, then cut in half
- handful blueberries
- handful baking chips of choice vegan if needed
- handful cashews
- dried fruit optional
- Mix your chocolate peanut butter spread by combing 1/2 cup Sprouts peanut butter, 2 tbsp cocoa powder and 2 tbsp Sprouts honey in a small bowl. Mix until a smooth consistency is reached and cocoa powder is all mixed in.
- To assembly animal faces, line up rice cakes, then chose your base spread. I used the chocolate peanut butter spread for the monkeys and one fish, then used the regular peanut butter for the dogs and remaining fish.
- FOR THE MONKEYS: Spread out your nut butter of choice, I made mine more an oval shape than completely round like the rice cake. Drizzle with a little extra honey, if desired. Then cut your banana to make the upper and lower part of the nose/snout. Finally add the cashews for ears.
- FOR THE FISH: Spread out your nutter butter of choice over the whole rice cake, drizzle with a little extra honey, if desired. Then cut a small triangle out of a couple of the banana circles to make the back fin. Put that on the far side of the rice cake, slightly hanging off, then layer 3-4 round banana slices to create the scales. Finally select a small blueberry for the eye and a piece of dried from for the mouth or a little apple slice.
- FOR THE DOG: Spread out your nutter butter of choice over the whole rice cake, again, drizzle extra honey if desired, then use the thinly sliced, half circle apples to create the dog ears. Use small blueberries for the eyes, then a banana slice and blueberry for the mouth/nose.
- Now watch your little ones delight in their fun, tasty little snacks!
- You can easily purchase chocolate peanut butter rather than making your own, or substitute with Nutella.
- Store any remaining chocolate peanut butter spread in the refrigerator in air tight container. Allow to come to room temperature to spread.
This post is sponsored by Sprouts Farmers Market, but all opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that keep Lemons and Basil in action!