Today’s post is twice the fun, not only am I thrilled to share the recipe for these tasty Butternut Squash Veggie Burgers, but thanks to the NEW Rubbermaid® fasten + go sandwich kit, I also have the perfect food storage container for you to pack these babies up and take them on the go!
I’m equally excited to share the scoop on both these veggie burgers and this fasten + go sandwich kit, so it’s a bit of a toss on which to discuss first. Being that you have to make the burgers before you can pack them to go, I’m opting to use the same logic here and discuss the burgers then this handy storage container!
I hesitate to make such a claim, but I am nearly convinced that these are my new favorite veggie burgers. For me, texture is key when it comes to a successful veggie burger, yes flavor matters, but if it’s mushy or doesn’t hold up well, it loses points right out of the gate. The flaxseed, hazelnut meal, and garbanzo beans play a huge role, not only in adding nutrition, but in keeping these patties together. However, the 1/2 cup whole oats and cooked barley are what do it for me in the way of texture – making them hearty and robust.
Perhaps one of my favorite reasons for loving veggie burgers so much is the versatility when it comes to flavors. For these, the butternut squash’s inherent sweetness is perfectly countered by the chipotle peppers and fresh garlic, then complimented by the smoked paprika. Top them with a little spinach, avocado, and tomato, along with this chipotle avocado spread or ketchup, and I promise you won’t be disappointed!
Now, enough with the ins and outs of veggie burgers, lets talk about this NEW Rubbermaid® fasten + go sandwich kit! I think it’s safe to say that many people want to eat healthier and want to eat out less. I know we all give ourselves some grace this time of year, with the holidays, and splurging a bit more than usual, but come January, many people are ready to make changes in their eating habits – not just for their health, but often times for the budget as well.
My new full-time job as a mommy allows me to eat my lunch at home most days, but I’ve always made an effort through the years, for Josh and I both, to pack a healthy lunch for us to each take to work. I know this can be a challenge, it takes planning ahead and allowing extra time to pack a lunch, and truthfully eating out is often the more convenient thing to do. But eating out typically delivers a meal that is much higher in calories than you would pack from home, and the cost and calories both add up quickly. This new fasten + go sandwich kit, along with Rubbermaid’s fasten + go Entrée and Soup kits, make packing a healthy lunch doable! The compartmentalized system allows you to easily separate everything, while the lids snap into place to prevent spills – making it a great option to send with kids as well!
Rubbermaid has thought of everything, these containers are both functional and versatile, without sacrificing appearance. They each have a removable carry strap that makes for easy transportation and cleaning.
NEW Rubbermaid® fasten + go sandwich kit:
- Base perfect for square or rectangular bread
- 1 side container – 1 cup capacity
- 2 snack containers – ½ cup capacity each
- Outer lid
- Removable strap
Other Great Features:
- The removable carry strap allows for easy transportation
- Smaller containers can be removed for customizable meals
- Containers can be nested for compact storing
- Lids snap to the base to allow for secure transportation
- Professional aesthetics provides a premium appearance
- BPA-free, Microwave and Dishwasher Safe
And this sandwich kit arrived just in time for these veggie patties. These burgers are not just a favorite of mine, but Josh is a fan as well. It’s great having leftovers to send with him to work, but in the past, I’ve typically sent 2-3 containers along with a few sandwich bags to keep the toppings, condiments, veggie burger, and bun separate. Thankfully, this fasten + go kit now makes it so much easier!
Starting on 12/27/15 head to your local Target store to purchase the NEW Rubbermaid® fasten + go kits! Available in Entree, Sandwich, and Soup Kits!
- 3 cups roasted butternut squash, mashed
- 1/2 cup uncooked barley
- 1/2 cup ground oats
- 1 cup bran flakes
- 1/2 cup whole oats
- 1/3 cup hazelnut meal (or nut meal of choice)
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 organic eggs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Suggested Toppings: avocado, tomato, spinach, cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray baking sheet with coconut oil cooking spray, then cut butternut squash in half lengthwise, remove seeds and bake with flesh side down for approximately 40 minutes or until flesh is well cooked and easily mashed.
- Remove squash from oven once cooked and allow to slightly cool.
- While the squash cooks, go ahead and prep all other items, starting with the barley. Cook 1/2 cup according to package directions. I used Trader Joe's 10 minute barley and the directions were to add 1/2 cup uncooked barley to 1 cup water, bring to a boil, then simmer for ten minutes. Once barley has cooked, drain any access water and set aside for later.
- While squash and barley cook, add 1/2 cup whole oats and 1 cup bran flakes to food processor or NutriBullet and blend until they reach a flour-like consistency.
- Add ground oats and bran flakes to large bowl along with 1/2 cup whole oats, 1/3 cup hazelnut meal, and 1/4 flax meal.
- Rinse and drain garbanzo beans, then add to the bowl of food process and process 6-10 seconds or until beans are a good mashed consistency without being too smooth.
- Add mashed garbanzo beans to large bowl with oats and hazelnut meal.
- Once butternut squash has cooked and cooled, add the flesh (approx 3 cups) to the same large bowl, along with the cooked barley, stir to combine.
- Finally, add eggs, minced garlic, and all seasonings to the large bowl and stir until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Refrigerate for approx 30-45 minutes, or add to freezer for 10-15 minutes if short on time, to allow mixture to firm up.
- Grease large baking sheets with coconut oil cooking spray, then scoop out large spoonfuls of mixture to create each patty, once on the pan, use your hand to shape and flatten into a patty. The mixture will be wet and sticky, but once they bake, the texture holds up nicely!
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip and bake additional 12-15 minutes.