That’s right… I’ve officially jumped on the Roasted Chickpeas bandwagon, but who can blame me!? In my defense, I literally eat chickpeas in my salad every single day of the work-week. I buy at least one can of Trader Joe’s organic chickpeas/garbanzo beans every week if not more. So it was only natural that I try roasting these versatile, fiber-rich little legumes. For me, salads are all about texture and who could resist adding these Savory Spiced Roasted Chickpeas for a perfect crunch?? No more nutrient-lacking croutons!
Ever since a friend of mine brought me some Smoked Paprika to try, I am obsessed with it! I’ve used it in lentil sloppy joes, sweet potato fries, zucchini fritters, kale chips, deviled eggs… and more. Now it plays the leading act, supported by a few other spices, in these Savory Spiced Roasted Chickpeas. Josh enjoyed eating these on their own as a healthy snack to take care of his salt craving. Of course, being that I only made one can’s worth, I was a bit stingy and snatched them back to hoard for my salads. Not a very nice wife, huh? :)
Had I known he’d happily eat these by the handful, I’d have doubled or tripled this recipe! I thoroughly enjoyed this savory version, but I have every intention of trying a sweet interpretation…maybe a little coconut oil, honey and cinnamon?
Aside from making these tasty Roasted Chickpeas, Josh and I have been busy packing up the house and prepping to be
homeless home sellers. I figure since we are accustomed to celebrating being home buyers, we’ll take this chance to also celebrate being home sellers. We truly are thankful to have sold the house, but it definitely puts us in a bit of limbo for the next few months.
Our last night in our “first house” is next Tuesday evening, then we close on Thursday. We aren’t quite ready to buy our next house, and the rental we’ve found will not be ready until mid-late July, so we truly are looking at being homeless. Thankfully, some SERIOUSLY great friends of ours have invited us into their home for the next three-four weeks. To say we are grateful is an immense understatement!
Good friends are definitely a blessing. Through the rapid decline in my mom’s health, and now this housing transition, more than ever, I’m learning just how precious dear friends are. I hope each of you have friends like this in your life, cherish them! :)
- 1 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¾ tbsp coconut oil, melted
- ½ heaping tsp ground smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground garlic
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp coarse sea salt
- ⅛-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas, then dry well with paper towel or clean dish towel. Remove skins if desired.
- Combine smoked paprika, garlic, turmeric, cinnamon, sea salt and cayenne in small bowl.
- Add rinsed and dried chickpeas to baking sheet. Drizzle with melted coconut oil and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle seasoning mixture over oil covered chickpeas, toss to fully cover, then spread seasoned chickpeas onto baking sheet in single layer.
- Roast 30 minutes or until golden and crispy, it may take up to 35-40 minutes. Remove and shake the pan halfway through.
- Once golden and crispy, remove from oven, allow to cool then eat by themselves or add to your favorite salad!
- Do not put them in airtight container for storing until they are fully cooled. If they are still warm, this will trap moisture and cause them to soften back up.