Looking for the perfect meal for tomorrow’s Playoff games? I have just the thing for you!
I don’t know if you have any football fans in your house, or if you’re excited about the remaining teams, but let me just say that the Pauley house is pretty stoked. Josh has been a longtime, loyal 49ers fan. Even during their, shall we say… struggling seasons. So while they’ve had their ups and downs this year, we could not be more excited about tomorrow night’s game and their chance at going to the Superbowl two years in a row!
So, if you are considering having friends or family over to watch the games, I highly recommend these Butternut Squash Quesadillas with Chipotle Avocado Sauce. The Mexican inspired seasonings are such a lovely compliment to the sweetness of the butternut squash, while the cooked kale adds the perfect savory contrast. And then fresh mozzarella. Seriously, cheese makes anything better, and this one is no exception.
Because I love dipping my quesadillas in a little salsa and sour cream or avocado dip, I whipped up this chipotle avocado sauce using Greek yogurt, avocado, chipotle peppers in adobe sauce, lemon juice, water and cilantro. I just threw all the ingredients into my Nutribullet, and it was ready in less than a minute.
The smokey chipotle peppers add the perfect flavor to the avocado sauce. Depending on your preference, you can kick up the spiciness by adding more chipotle peppers, or tone it down by simply cutting back on them. Same goes for the cilantro. Of course, I’m all for the more is better theory.
Then, just add some organic tortilla chips with your favorite salsa and your game-day food will not only be tasty, but healthy, too!
I hope you’ll give his one a try, and whoever you’re cheering for, good luck! GO 49ERS!
- 3 cups Butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups Kale, stems removed and chopped
- ½ cup black beans
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ⅛ tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 4 oz fresh Mozzarella (2%), approx 1 cup shredded
- 4 whole grain and flax tortillas
- For the Avocado Sauce:
- 1 soft medium Avocado
- 1 Chipotle pepper in Adobe sauce
- ⅓ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp water
- Heat skillet over medium heat, spray with coconut oil cooking spray and add chopped butternut squash and diced onions. Cook over medium heat stirring occasionally until squash and onions are caramelized, approximately 10-12 minutes. Make sure squash does not get too soft.
- Add kale and seasonings (chili powder, cumin, cayenne, garlic and pepper) and cook additional 2-4 minutes.
- Heat separate skillet over medium heat and lay down 1 whole grain and flax tortilla. Spread out half of cooked veggies, then top with ¼ cup black beans and approximately ½ cup mozzarella cheese. Lay another tortilla on top and cook 2-4 minutes, then flip and cook another 2-4 minutes or until cheese is melted and tortillas are toasted.
- Remove from griddle and repeat process for second quesadilla.
- For the avocado sauce:
- Peel and pit avocado, add to Nutribullet, along with chipotle pepper, Greek yogurt, lemon juice and water. Blend for 30-45 seconds or until creamy consistency. Taste and add more chipotle if desired (adds a kick!).
- Dish quesadillas out on plates, garnish with chipotle avocado sauce and fresh cilantro, then serve!
Inspired by Dishing up the Dirt.