Has patty pan squash been this popular for a while and I’m just late to the party? Recently I seem to see it everywhere, including our CSA! There is a fairly new farmers market in Nashville, so on a Tuesday evening, a few weeks back, a co-worker and I walked to it after work, to check out the local vendors and see what it was all about. I had already gotten my produce that week so it was more browsing than buying, but I wanted to get something I hadn’t used or bought before and decided to go with a couple patty pan squash since I wasn’t familiar with it. It is a round, sorta scalloped squash that is similar to zucchini and seems to be very versatile. I created a Stuffed Patty Pan Squash with that purchase, but this time decided to go with a different approach.
If you haven’t already figured it out, you will soon realize that I love kale, sweet potatoes, and feta cheese. So naturally I find ways to throw those ingredients in as many dishes as possible.
Josh, on the other hand, loves spicy things. Recently with our CSA, from Delvin Farms (100% organic, LOVE), we’ve gotten several different hot peppers, including some jalapeño peppers (at least I think that’s what it is?!).
Since I’m a bit more of a wimp than he is with the spicy stuff, I like to pair it with sweet potatoes, the sweetness of the potatoes helps counter the spiciness from the peppers – psychologically, if nothing else! The almond milk also helps aid in offsetting the spice, not to mention it makes the mash smooth and creamy.
Because I’m often short on time, I just cook the sweet potatoes in the microwave rather than the oven, then mash the insides with a fork, before adding the almond milk and crushed garlic.
The caramelized onions add a great texture to the dish.
I hope you give this one a try – its quick, tasty and full of nutritional benefits!
- 1 large patty pan squash
- 2 small sweet potatoes
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 1 handful kale
- ½ jalepeno pepper
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut patty pan into ¼"-3/8" slices and lay out onto two lightly greased pans.
- Wash and cook two sweet potatoes in microwave (or oven if time permits).
- Add chopped onions to pan and lightly spray with coconut oil cooking spray, saute until transparent and soft.
- Set tender onions aside and cook kale until tender crispy.
- Remove skins from cooked sweet potatoes and mash flesh with fork in bowl, add almond milk and minced garlic, stir until creamy.
- Smooth sweet potato mash over each patty pan slice and top with cooked onions and kale.
- Bake for approx 10-15 minutes or until squash is soft.
- Once removed from oven, sprinkle with feta cheese and serve!